Reversing the discount in Shopify or finishing the PreProduct listing will wipe the discount and pre-order customers will be charged the full amount.
This is obviously a problem if you’ve already collected pre-orders with the promise of a discount. There are two possible approaches to address this:
1. Trigger payment links and keep the listing as a pre-order for a couple of days. In your payment link emails you could mention something like ‘pre-order discounts will be valid for the next 48 hours…’. This is quite a common approach and can give a helpful sense of urgency to customers.
2. This second approach will only work for non-deposit based pre-orders.
– You could finish the pre-order listing, which will reverse the product’s discount.
– Then generate a Shopify discount code. (Being careful to specify just that product as being applicable)
– Then include that code in your payment links template before sending payment links out.